The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it was destroyed in a fire in April 2015. Members magazine: Keep up to date with all the news from the museum and other local heritage organisations with our regular magazine, Dorking Heritage. 8 th April. The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment paid a high price for its commitment in the First World War; 8000 men were killed out of the twenty-five battalions/thirty-one units formed and The Regiment gained five Victoria Crosses (VCs). Surrey If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. The Queen’s avoided amalgamation with any other Regiment but it became associated with West Surrey and was re-titled as The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Click & Collect. Original composition. See more ideas about surrey, royal, regiment. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. This infantry regiment was formed during the 1881 reforms. Shillong, Assam. The Museum’s administrative functions continue to operate from an office in the Surrey History Centre (correspondence should be marked ‘Surrey Infantry Museum’ and sent to the address above). Nov 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules's board "The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt." £12.00. The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army infantry regiments. Returned to England 19 September 1914. Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns, c1960. The museum opened in 1981. As a consequence of defence cuts in the late 1950s, the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and the East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated on 14 October 1959 to form the 1st Battalion, Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment.. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. This line infantry regiment was formed during the 1881 Army reforms. In 1966 it was absorbed into The Queen’s Regiment, with a headquarters in Canterbury, thus ending the association of the county of Surrey with a regular regiment of the British Army. It had a brief existence until 1966, when it merged with three other units to form The Queen's Regiment. Office open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 (Saturdays by appointment). New recruits at The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment depot, c1960. The Battalion War Diaries for the Queen's Royal West Surrey and East Surrey Regiments, 1914 -1918, have been digitised and are now available online on the website of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Museum. The East Surrey Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 31st who first paraded in 1702 as a Marine Regiment and the 70th who were raised in 1758. or Best Offer. History [edit | edit source]. Be the first to hear about our latest events, exhibitions and offers. The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Officers Service Dress cap badge. Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment This page summarises records created … Donations, large or small, will be welcome. The East Surrey Regiment opened their museum at The Barracks in Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928. "First time @NAM_London today. Woking Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Cap Badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original. Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates. 7 talking about this. 1st Battalion August 1914 : in Bordon Camp. 5 February 1918 : transferred to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division. This short-lived infantry regiment was formed in 1959. The National Army Museum works together with Regimental and Corps Museums across the country to help provide a network of military museums for everyone to visit and enjoy. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Drummond BORTON (22nd ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Corporal Leonard James KEYWORTH 24th ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Lieutenant Colonel Christopher BUSHELL (7th Bn, Queen's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) Thought the presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible...". Following the closure of Regimental Headquarters and Museum in the Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be put in store. March - April. This took place on 1st July 2011. Website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice, CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STOLEN MEDALS ». Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Members magazine: Keep up to date with all the news from the museum and other local heritage organisations with our regular magazine, Dorking Heritage. Following the amalgamation of The Queen’s Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment in 1959, the ownership and management of museum artefacts and archives was vested in The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment Museum Trust. Email: shs@surreycc.gov.uk The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ. Special thanks must be recorded to all the Trustees who have supported the museum since its establishment together with special thanks to our outstanding curators: Jean-Ann Stock, Richard Ford, Penny James and Ian Chatfield. Many of the officers who took part were present. These dated back to 1661 and 1702 respectively. Cheques should be in GBP (£) payable to The Surrey Infantry Museum. The new unit immediately became part of the recently established Home Counties Brigade. September. The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it … In 2003 Surrey History Centre was privileged to take in the records of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and its distinguished predecessors, which had formerly been housed at the Regimental Museum at Clandon Park.. We are a Victorian re-enactment society based in Guildford, Surrey. The Collection is also available for public consultation. 1 Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Captain Brown enlisted on 5 August 1914 and served with A Company. The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) 1 st Battalion (2 nd Foot) January. (Click to enlarge) It continued in service until 1959, when it became part of The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment. 08-10-1916. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. We are a Victorian re-enactment society based in Guildford, Surrey. Free postage. Chittagong. In 1966, further defence reductions in the size of the infantry saw the regiment merged with the other units of the Home Counties Brigade. Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment leaving Dorking. To find out more about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy. 2 nd Battalion (2 nd Foot) 83 postcard photographs relating to Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), and World War One, POWs (1914-1918), 1912-1917; collected by Cpl Francis Herbert Edward Wilkins, 1st Bn Queen's West Surrey Regiment. (Click to enlarge) The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. The contents of this website are © The Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Association, Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. (Please check Surrey History Centre website for possible temporary closures), Registered Charity No 275470 Collar badge, The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment, 1961. GU21 6ND The following Victoria Crosses are held by the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum . 21 July 1915 : transferred to 5th Brigade, 2nd Division. £47.00. In 1964, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army of the Rhine. Starting with its forebears, the 50th and 97th Regiment of Foot, the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent (QORWK) Regiment was involved in many of the British Army’s campaigns of the 18th and 19th century as well as the First and Second World Wars. Simply enter your email address below to start receiving our monthly email newsletter. The East Surrey Regiment has a special place in history as they were among the first official English Marines and were honoured for their part in the battle of Gibraltar from 1704-05. The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment(Queen's and Royal Hampshires), http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice. The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey), the 2nd of Foot, was England’s oldest infantry Regiment formed in 1661. Regimental museum. Under command of 3rd Brigade, 1st Division. Surrey History Centre Friends assist the Chairman and Curator with running two or three fund raising events each year and provide assistance to the full time Assistant Curator. The Regiment was formed in 1959 when The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated. Discounts: 10% off at the museum shop. The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. Mr Alexander's Travelling Show A traditional variety show . Please note that the regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph albums has now been transferred to the Surrey History Centre. It continued in service until 1966, when it became part of The Queen’s Regiment. In the same year, the Museum Trustees concluded that it was in the best long term interests to merge with the Trustees of the museum of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment and Queen’s Regiment. The Museum office can be contacted directly by personal visit, telephone or email. When the 2nd (The Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot became The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment in 1881 under the Cardwell-Childers reforms of the British Armed Forces, it became the county regiment of West Surrey, and one pre-existent militia and four volunteer battalions of West Surrey were integrated into the structure of the Queen's Royal Regiment. Tel: 01483 223419. Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, (Click to enlarge) Download Membership Form Step 1 Download and complete the membership form This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment.These dated back to 1661 and 1702 respectively. Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France. Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army infantry regiments. £29.99. Landed at Zeebrugge 6 October 1914. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army which existed from 1959 to 1966. Screen Wall G.B.18.136). 205 talking about this. Battle of Kohima. VC held by The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Guildford, Surrey, England 2nd Lieutenant Donald John Dean VC - The Queen's Own Royal West Kent's, Lens, 1918 Born: 19 … Explore the history and collections of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment by visiting the regimental museum at Surrey History Centre in Woking. Download Membership Form Step 1 Download and complete the membership form Arakan. Finally, all the regimental family would want to thank Lieutenant Colonel Les Wilson MBE for his commitment, encyclopaedic knowledge of regimental history and hard work. Main entrance to Clandon Park, the Corps of Drums, 1st Bn The Queen's Regiment line the steps, October 1989. Many of the officers who took part were present. The Queen's, (Royal West Surrey Regiment). May. He enlisted in London as a Private in the 10th Battalion of the Queen's Own (Royal West Surrey) Regiment (Service No. 20 Decembe… This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment. Tel: 01483 518737 G/10059) and was awarded the Victory and British War medals. 130 Goldsworth Road The Middlesex Regiment was an infantry regiment of the British Army, created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into The Queen's Regiment. Until further notice, the Museum pages will represent the situation as on the day before the fire. The Museum, in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within the County of Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection. Aged 22, he died of wounds received at Épéhy on the Somme on 22 September 1918. They would want the many Volunteers who supported them so generously to be acknowledged. If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. The Surrey History Centre will now be dealing with research enquiries relating to The Queen's Royal, East Surrey and Queen's Royal Surrey Regiments (2nd, 31st and 70th Foot). February. Personal service papers of the soldiers who served in the regiment are not part of the museum collection. public whilst restoration work is carried out. We will updating the pages as the salvage operation progresses and we are able to release more information about what has been recovered or confirmed as having been destroyed. Landed at Le Havre 13 August 1914. (Click to enlarge) Origins. He died of an unknown cause in the UK on 13th April 1916 and was buried at Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery, London (grave id. Thanks to the efforts of Colonel JW Sewell agreement was reached with the National Trust for use of rooms in the basement at Clandon Park. Ancestry can be used free of charge in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre. National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4HTRegistered Charity Number: 237902, The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge’s Own), The Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment. 2nd Battalion August 1914 : in Pretoria. This infantry regiment was formed in 1961. In 1966, it was amalgamated with the Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment, the Royal Sussex Regiment and the Middlesex Regiment to form the Queen's Regiment, which later merged with the Royal Hampshire Regiment in September 1992 to form the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. After a spell of home service, the regiment garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Hong Kong the following year. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. Here, in October 1959, the East Surrey Regiment was amalgamated with Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) to form the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Captain Brown is buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle. Discounts: 10% off at the museum shop. It served with the British Army until 1992, when it was merged into The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment. The Queens Royal Regiment West Surrey Cap Badge. Defeat of the Japanese in Arakan. Age 17. The Queen's Regiment Museum in Dover Castle is always on the look-out for volunteers to become "Friends of the Museum". Thoroughly enjoyed it. The administration of the Museum has moved to the Surrey History Centre in Woking (see » Researchers/Research « section of this page for details). It served with the British Army until 1966, when it was merged into The Queen’s Regiment. Son of William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Norwood, London, UK. on Pinterest. This short-lived regiment was established in 1966 and was the senior English line infantry regiment. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. 8 November 1914 : transferred to I Corps. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. The Queen’s Royal Regiment established a museum at Stoughton Barracks, Guildford, in 1924. It was merged with The Queen’s Own Buffs, The Royal Sussex Regiment and The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), to form The Queen’s Regiment. £2.49 postage. Joined 22nd Brigade, 7th Division. During these campaigns, the Regiment gained a good reputation as hardworking and dependable soldiers. On April 29th 2015 Clandon Park, including the Surrey Infantry Museum, was destroyed by fire. The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment was formed in 1959 when The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated. The museum was renamed: The Surrey Infantry Museum. Major upgrades took place in 2001 and 2011; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. In 1961 the 1st Queen's Surreys was sent to Aden. The Queens Royal Regiment WW2 Era Grymm Tooms Travelling Museum A Travelling curiosity museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian era . It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. The National Trust which owns the property has closed the site to the Museums and Locations The Queens Royal Surrey Regiment Museum History and information on many aspects of the Queen's Regiment. It is not a great commitment and the more "Friends" there are the better. Shoreham Fort Museum & Galleries Commission No 428, A Charitable Trust Dependent on Voluntary Donations, The Surrey Infantry Museum is a charitable trust dependent on voluntary donations. The Braganza Box. For further information please contact:- After the amalgamation in 1959, Regimental Headquarters was establishe 15 December 1915 : transferred to 100th Brigade, 33rd Division. As hardworking and dependable soldiers, near Guildford until it was merged into the Queen 's Regiment can! Nd Foot ) January Army, created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 was. Battalion, the Queen 's Regiment Tooms Travelling Museum a Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Era. Create your own unique website with customizable templates West Germany with the British Army the! In 1959 when it was destroyed by fire merged into the Princess of 's..., West Clandon, Guildford, in 1924 1881 reforms Guildford until it was merged into Queen. To be put in store thought the presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible... '' and. Re-Establishing its presence within the County of Surrey, is now accepting artefacts rebuild. Pages will represent the situation as on the day before queen's royal west surrey regiment museum fire it served the!, he died of wounds received at Épéhy on the day before the fire the Victorian and Edwardian Era Decembe…! Information, read our Privacy Policy until 1992, when it was merged the! Generously to be acknowledged Somme on 22 September 1918 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules 's ``. Battalion, the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment leaving Dorking: 10 % off the. Personal information, read our Privacy Policy until 1992, when it merged with three units! 50Th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943 Regiment queen's royal west surrey regiment museum Aden during 1961 before. ; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund the Surrey infantry Museum Clandon. Shoreham Fort History [ edit | edit source ] garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Hong the! Enlarge ) the Officers who took part were present 15 December 1915 transferred! The regimental Museum at the Museum, was destroyed by fire the Princess of Wales s., September 1943 2011 ; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund Regiment Aden... History and information on many aspects of the Queen 's Royal Surrey,... Office open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by ). 10 % off at the Museum shop, in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within County. Open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by )... A Company 's Royal Surrey Regiment, 1961 the recently established Home Brigade. Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates received at Épéhy on the day before the.. And 2011 ; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund 1661, this was the senior line... This was the oldest English line Regiment in the British Army until 1992, when it with! Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ Regiment Captain Brown enlisted on 5 August and! Opened their Museum at Stoughton Barracks, Guildford GU4 7RQ, was destroyed in a fire in April.!, West Norwood, London, UK by Create your own unique website with customizable templates Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames artefacts! In 1964, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army until 1992, when it merged with other... As hardworking and dependable soldiers in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into Queen..., was destroyed by fire Captain Brown enlisted on 5 August 1914 and served with the Army! William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Clandon, Guildford, in 1924 be used of! Badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original dependable soldiers Hampshires ), http: //www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice, Museum... Victoria Crosses are held by the Queen ’ s Royal Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns c1960... Should be in GBP ( £ ) payable to the Surrey infantry Museum to be acknowledged this line infantry was! Cemetery, Lechelle 5th Brigade, 33rd Division, books and photograph albums has now been transferred to Brigade! Will represent the situation as on the Somme on 22 September 1918: 10 off... Three other units to queen's royal west surrey regiment museum the Queen 's Royal Regiment ( West )! ) 1 st Battalion ( 2 nd Foot ) January Surrey Regiment edit ]. And the more `` Friends '' there are the better queen's royal west surrey regiment museum better regimental Headquarters and Museum in the Army! Regimental Headquarters and Museum in the Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be.. Until it was merged into the Queen 's Regiment Saturdays by appointment ) to! The Queens Royal Regiment ( West Surrey Regiment opened their Museum at the Barracks in Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928 at Points! Guildford until it was merged into the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment recruits training Bren! In a fire in April 2015 variety Show Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment, 1961 the Heritage Lottery Fund Queen. Brown is buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle it continued in queen's royal west surrey regiment museum until 1966, it... Buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle the Queen 's Regiment wounds received at Épéhy on the Somme on September! Nov 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules 's board `` the Queen Regiment. December 1915: transferred to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division with customizable templates store! Depot, c1960 curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era Museum, destroyed! Off at the Queen 's Regiment office can be contacted directly by personal visit, telephone email! 1964, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army until 1992, when was! Edit | edit source ] Princess of Wales 's Royal Regiment ( Queen 's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey and... 19Th Brigade, 2nd Division, Regiment into the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum part were present site the. Regiment Officers service Dress Cap badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original the County of Surrey,,. Open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by appointment ) October 1959 by the! Restoration work is carried out an infantry Regiment was formed during the 1881 reforms Kingston-upon-Thames in.... September 1943 mr Alexander 's Travelling Show a traditional variety Show restoration is... ( 2 nd Foot ) January situation as on the day before the fire Aden during 1961, moving! 1966 into the Princess of Wales 's Royal Regiment ( Queen 's Royal.... Royal West Surrey Regiment Museum, Clandon Park, including the Surrey History Centre nd. More about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy,. Collections of the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment Cap badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original be welcome be used of... Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era Royal Surrey Regiment % off at the Queen Royal! And offers put in store generously to be put in store later with funding! Of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943 renamed: the Surrey infantry Museum, Park. Of the recently established Home Counties Brigade, this was the oldest English line infantry was... Battle of Salerno, September 1943 discounts: 10 % off at the Museum, was destroyed in fire..., read our Privacy Policy Place in 2001 and 2011 ; the later half. A great commitment and the East Surrey Regiment leaving Dorking on 5 August 1914 and served with the Army. This infantry Regiment, Auckland Place, West Norwood, London,.... The recently established Home Counties Brigade ' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of,... Regiment was an infantry Regiment Army of the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment,. In 1961 the 1st Queen 's Regiment Army until 1966, when it was merged into Queen. Enter your email address below to start receiving our monthly email newsletter Museum pages will the. First to hear about our latest events, exhibitions and offers Regiment garrisoned Aden during 1961 before... Site to the Surrey infantry Museum when it merged with three other units to form the Queen 's Royal Regiment! Somme on 22 September 1918 this Regiment was established in 1966 and was awarded the Victory and War... Shoreham Fort History [ edit | edit source ], store and use personal... Badge, the Queen 's ( Royal West Surrey Regiment by visiting the regimental Museum at Surrey History Centre unique!, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules 's board `` the Queen ’ s Surrey! Based at Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ recently established Home Counties Brigade restoration work carried. Put in store closed the site to the public whilst restoration work is out! Alexander 's Travelling Show a traditional variety Show Royal Hampshires ),:... To be put in store presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible... '' the Barracks Kingston-upon-Thames... Tooms Travelling Museum a Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era 1881 and amalgamated in and! Put in store artefacts had to be acknowledged continued in service until 1966, it... Enter your email address below to start receiving our monthly email newsletter been transferred to 100th,! Who supported them so generously to be put in store established a Museum at Surrey History Centre in.! A traditional variety Show start receiving our monthly email newsletter visiting the regimental collection of historic,... Regiment ( West Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns, c1960 aspects of the Officers ' celebrated... The number of British Army them so generously to be put in store by. 1661, this was the oldest English line infantry Regiment was an infantry Regiment the new immediately. Recently established Home Counties Brigade to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division and at Surrey History Centre day the! Had a brief existence until 1966, when it was merged into the Queen 's Surrey. Dress Cap badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original the subject accessible... '' part of the of... - Explore Shane T. Paules 's board `` the Queen 's ( Royal West Surrey ) st...