Republic P-47D “Thunderbolt”
Republic P-47D “Thunderbolt’” United States Army Air Force Summer 1944
Alexander de Seversky and Alexander Kartveli, Russian refugees, were largely responsible for the development of the 5-ton P47, which grew out of a much smaller XP47A design. The first prototype was delivered in December 1941, and production began in May, 1942. Despite its size, it was very successful in all theatres of WWII. The aircraft shown is from the 352nd Fighter Squadron, 353rd Fighter Group, 8th Air Force. It is painted with the black and white stripes used on Allied aircraft during the Normandy invasion of 1944.