Sopwith F.1 “Camel” Royal Flying Corps Spring 1917
Manufactured by the Sopwith Aviation Company, the Camel was introduced on the Western Front in the summer of 1917. Powered by a rotary engine, it had twin Vickers .3o3 machine guns synchronized to fire through the prop. The metal fairing over the guns gave the craft a humped appearance, leading to its nickname. The Camel was highly maneuverable in the hands of an experienced pilot, but was extremely dangerous when flown by a novice. Approximately 5490 Camels were built during the war in all variants, and Camel pilots were credited with shooting down 1,294 enemy aircraft.